Credit Card Review & Application
- Earn a Welcome Bonus of 12,000 Membership Rewards® points the first time you use the approved Card. That's enough for a $100 Gift Card for dining, entertainment, or home improvement!
- Earn 2 Points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases at your 5 places chosen from a list of select American Express merchants. That's double the points compared to your Card purchases everywhere else
- Earn 1 Point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else
- Choose your 5 places from a list of select American Express merchants, including stores, restaurants, hotels and more
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
|Introductory Period:||12 months|
|APR on Purchases:||See terms *|
|Card Issuer:||Amex Bank of Canada|
|Card Network:||American Express|
|Card Category:||Consumer (Premium)|
|Card Type:||- Instant Decision|
- Reward Card
The ChoicePlus Card from American Express is a rewards credit card with many rewards and a low annual fee. The number of rewards that are received by the cardholder does create a return on investment in regards to this fee with benefits that are valued far beyond the cost of obtaining the card.
There are many highlights to this credit card, such as a welcome bonus of membership Rewards points the first time the card is used. The initial points are enough to redeem for a gift card that can be used for entertainment, dining, or any of a list of other options.
Cardholders are also able to choose 5 merchants to use their card with that will give them 2 points for every $1 in eligible purchases. This is twice the points compared to purchases that are made everywhere else, which is 1 point for every $1 charged to the card.
In addition, there is an introductory interest rate that is quite low with the rate increasing at the end of the introductory period. In order to take advantage of the entire introductory period, on-time payments have to be made. The exact interest rate at the end of the introductory period depends on creditworthiness. Cash advances have a different interest rate.
There is also the opportunity to avoid a monthly fee for paper statements and that is by enrolling in online-only statements. This feature is a part of the online account management service, which allows you to view your account details and make payments from the comfort of your home computer.
If you need supplementary cards, they are free. Supplementary cards can be ordered for spouses or anyone else that you wish to have access to the account. All qualifying items that are purchased by any of the cards on the account are subject to the Buyer�s Assurance Protection Plan, which is an extension of the original manufacturer�s warranty, and the Purchase Protection Plan, which is a type of insurance for a purchased item if it is stolen or accidentally damaged. Cardholders are also protected by the Fraud Protection Guarantee. When a cardholder has taken reasonable steps to ensure their card details are protected and they are compromised anyway, the cardholder is not responsible for the charges.
In regards to the points that are earned by all of the users of the account, there is no limit to the number of points that can be earned and there is no expiration date. The ability to add supplementary cards to the account is a way to increase the points that are earned because the spending is increased.
Once the points are accumulated, there are a number of rewards that can be taken advantage of. They include the choice of gift cards that are used to shop at a number of well-known retailers. There are also a large number of gift cards to choose from for dining at some of the finest restaurants. Cardholders can even choose merchandise rewards from some of the most famous brands in the world.
For cardholders that enjoy experiences, there are a number of experiential rewards that include a night out at the movies, tickets to concerts, access to festivals, and even more gift cards for such experiences as golf. When enjoying some of these experiences, there is a program called Front Of The Line Advance Ticket Access. What this program does is give American Express cardholders the ability to buy tickets in advance to certain events. Cardholders also have access to reserved seating through Reserved Ticket Access.
If you will be traveling, there are even more gift cards available for hotels, points can be transferred to Hotel rewards Programs, Plaza Premium Lounge Pass, and there is TripFlex rewards. TripFlex can result in points covering taxes and fees of travel purchases placed on the card.
All of this is experienced in addition to the 24/7 customer service and Emergency Card Replacement when your card is lost or stolen while you are on the road. To qualify for the card, you need to be the age of majority, a Canadian resident with a credit file, no bankruptcy within the past 7 years, and an annual income of at least $15,000.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express Canada. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of AMEX Canada, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express Canada.
The review prepared by CreditCardsCo™ Canada
|Reward Types:||- Other Reward Cards|
- Universal Reward Cards
|Rewards:||- 7,500 Membership Rewards Bonus points the first time you use the approved Card.|
- 2 Points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases at your 5 places chosen from a list of select American Express merchants.
- 1 Point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else.
|Other Benefits:||- Buyer's Assurance Protection Plan|
- Purchase Protection Plan
- Fraud Protection Guarantee
*See Terms and Conditions for more benefits
|Comments:||*American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.|
|Online Account Access:||Yes|
|Introductory Period:||12 months*|
|APR on Purchases:||See terms *|
|Grace Period:||21 days*|
|Late Payment Fee:||N/A*|
|Over Limit Fee:||$29.00|
|Balance Transfer:||See terms|
|Transfer Fee (%):||3.00%|
|APR Cash Advances:||21.99%|
|Cash Advance Fee:||3.00%|
|Additional Fees||- Dishonoured Payment: $25 each|
- Funds Advance: $2.75 each
- Statement Reprint: $3 per statement
- Monthly Paper Statement: $2 per statement
- Points Reinstatement: $20 for each reinstatement through Online Services or $30 for each reinstatement through other service channels (plus applicable taxes)
- Balance Transfer/Amex Cheque: up to 3% of the amount of each balance transfer and Amex cheque, if offered, unless reduced for a specific offer.
You may also be interested in:
* Published on Aug 3, 2013. Information relating to the ChoicePlus Card from American Express may change without notice as a result we cannot guarantee the accuracy of details above. It is important you read the terms and conditions attached to a product before submitting the application.