Credit Card Review & Application
- Earn 20,000 Bonus Aeroplan®* Miles. Receive 15,000 Bonus Aeroplan®* Miles after your first use of the Card, plus earn 5,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in your first three months of Card membership
- Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1 in Card purchases up to $10,000
- Accelerate your earn rate to 1.25 Aeroplan Miles for every additional $1 in Card purchases over $10,000 annually
- Earn Aeroplan Miles faster with two free Supplementary Cards - a $100 value ($50 for each additional Supplementary Card*)
- Travel to more than 1,000 destinations in more than 180 countries worldwide with Air Canada and Star Alliance Member Airlines™**
- In addition to flights, you can also redeem for hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, experiential rewards, merchandise and more
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.
*As a Charge Card, the balance must always be paid in full each month. 30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full. Conditions apply
|APR on Purchases:||See terms *|
|Card Issuer:||Amex Bank of Canada|
|Card Network:||American Express|
|Card Category:||Consumer (Premium)|
|Card Type:||- Charge Card|
- Instant Decision Card
- Reward Card
The American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card comes with features that a cardholder would expect from a gold card. It is a card that looks out for the cardholder. All one has to do is charge their airline tickets, accommodations, and car rental to the card and a number of travel benefits can be taken advantage of for that trip.
The first travel benefit is the Flight Delay insurance. This insurance will provide up with a specific amount of coverage for your motel, hotel, restaurant, and sundry expenses that are accrued within 48 hours of the flight delay or denied boarding that lasts at least four hours.
The second travel benefit is Baggage Delay Insurance. When booking a flight with the gold card, there is a specific amount of coverage that takes care of any necessary and reasonable emergency purchases. The purchases must be made within four days of the delay and must cover sundry and clothing items. Purchases can be made in as little as six hours after the delay.
The third benefit is the Car Rental Theft and Damage insurance. Cardholders can save money when traveling with this protection. In areas where the law allows, you will have automatic coverage for theft of the rental car or damage that is done to it. To take advantage of the offer, all that has to be done is the decline of the Loss Damage Waiver or similar option that the car rental company offers. Instead, you completely charge the rental to the American Express card. There is no additional charge to take advantage of this coverage and the daily insurance fee that the rental car company would normally charge is taken care of.
The fourth benefit is the Travel Accident Insurance, which gives you Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance for you, your spouse, and any children under the age of 23 traveling with you. You all have to travel using a common carrier (train, plane, ship, or bus) and the tickets must be charged to the charge card. Any supplementary cardholders and their spouses and children under the age of 23 can also take advantage of this insurance.
In addition to these travel benefits, cardholders also receive emergency card replacement. This means if your card is lost or stolen, you can call to report the loss or theft and a new card will be issued. If you are traveling, you can make an arrangement to have your card waiting for you at some point along your trip.
For the frequent shopper, there are a number of shopping benefits. The first benefit is the Purchase Protection Plan. This plan automatically insures the purchases you make on the card against theft and accidental physical damage. You will need to refer to the card terms and conditions regarding the limitations. This protection is in effect for 90 days after purchase.
The second shopping benefit is the Buyer's Assurance Protection Plan. This plan automatically doubles the original manufacturer's warranty when the full price of the purchase is charged to the card. This applies to any product purchased on the card from anywhere around the world. Motorized vehicles, jewelry, and the parts associated from these items are excluded. Approval will need to be had before any repairs are covered under this plan. There are limits and you should refer to your cardholder agreement to see those limits.
The third shopping benefit is the Fraud protection guarantee. This guarantee means you will not be responsible for fraudulent charges on the card as long as you have taken reasonable measures to protect the account details.
Front Of The Line is a benefit that allows cardholders to get exclusive entertainment access. This access is to some of the hottest events throughout Canada. To know what events apply, you can sign up online for e-Updates or like the Facebook page so that you will know about events as soon as the information is available.
You can also manage your account online. The card can be activated online, there are ways to earn more miles faster, and you can sign up for email updates so that you know about the latest offers, concerts, contests, money saving deals, account updates, and more. You are also able to use the account management tool to keep track of your balance, pay the balance, and keep track of transactions.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express Canada. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of AMEX Canada, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express Canada.
The review prepared by CreditCardsCo™ Canada
|Reward Types:||- Airline Reward Cards|
- Other Reward Cards
- Travel Reward Cards
|Rewards:||- 20,000 Bonus Aeroplan®* Miles. Receive 15,000 Bonus Aeroplan®* Miles after your first use of the Card, plus earn 5,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in your first three months of Card membership|
- 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1 in Card purchases up to $10,000
- 1.25 Aeroplan Miles for every additional $1 in Card purchases over $10,000 annually
|Other Benefits:||- Flight Delay Insurance|
- Baggage Delay Insurance
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
- And more complimentary travel insurance benefits
- Buyer's Assurance® Protection Plan
- Purchase Protection® Plan
- Front Of The Line®
- Reserved Seating
- 24/7 Customer Service
- Emergency Card Replacement
- Fraud Protection Guarantee
- Manage your account online
|Comments:||*American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.|
To save time, make sure you can say yes to the following before applying for the American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Card.
- You are a Canadian resident and have a Canadian credit file.
- You are of the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
- You have an annual personal income of $20,000 or more.
- In the past 7 years, you have not filed for bankruptcy.
|Online Account Access:||Yes|
|APR on Purchases:||See terms *|
|Late Payment Fee:||N/A*|
We do not offer online application for this card at the moment.
You may also be interested in:
† Published on Aug 7, 2015. Information relating to the American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card may change without notice as a result we cannot guarantee the accuracy of details above. It is important you read the terms and conditions attached to a product before submitting the application.